Monday, April 13, 2015

Number 12    
The First Day I Felt Like I Belonged


I have heard of the stages of adapting to a new culture.  Some say the stages are Honeymoon, Crisis, Recovery, and Adjustment.  I have not experienced all of these stages yet although, I certainly know what the Honeymoon stage feels like.  For the past month Roger and I have been in the “Honeymoon” stage of adapting to Costa Rica.  It feels almost giddy, like a child at Christmas time.  Everything you do is new and exciting.  All your energy is put into trying to understand the basic necessities.  What’s the exchange rate and how do you convert that back into dollars; where do you buy food; how do you get from point A to point B etc., etc.  Learning the basic survival skills.  It’s scary, but tremendously exciting at the same time.

Today was the first day I felt like I belonged in Costa Rica.  That occurred to me on the bus as I was riding into San Jose by myself.  


I signed up for 12 hours of Spanish lessons.  





So, today I needed to catch the right bus and make my way downtown into the city.  As I sat on the bus I wasn’t worried did I take the right bus, I knew where it and I were going.  I knew when to get off and where I needed to walk to.  I stopped for a cup of tea and was able to communicate at a minimum level of understanding (but it is still difficult to explain why I want milk in my tea). I was like every other person on the bus and walking the streets of San Jose.  I had a place to go and a schedule to keep.  I felt like this really is my home, I am not just a tourist here on vacation.  Although I can say I am not totally at ease with everything, but I do feel a level of confidence with my limited schedule.


After my 3 hours of Spanish lessons, I stopped at a restaurant and ate lunch and found the correct bus to go home.  I do not think the “honeymoon” phase is over yet.  If there is a “Crisis” phase (which is described as culture shock) I am not sure how I will handle it. I do know keeping an open mind and heart will help.  Stay tuned…..

No comments:

Post a Comment