Thursday, May 21, 2015

Number 19


Rio Chirripo Retreat & Hotel
San Gerardo, Costa Rica

It was time to do some serious exploring of Costa Rica.  We rented a car (oh, how the feelings of ownership returned).  As soon as I sat down in the car, I looked at Roger and said, “I want a car”, but I do know it is only my car addiction talking.

Anyway, we planned a 3 night/4 day excursion to Rio Chirripo Yoga Retreat and Hotel. We looked at it on line ( http://www.riochirripo.com) and decided it would be a great place to experience a totally different Costa Rica.  Rio Chirripo is located in San Gerardo de Rivas, near Costa Rica’s Chirripo National Park.  Or in other words, a 4 hour drive from San Jose.  I will give you my best advice on how to find Rio Chirripo…  “Get a GPS”.   Roger had printed out all these maps and the GPS got us to the front door without a wrong turn or any angry words. I am convinced we would be still be driving the mountains of Costa Rica without one.

As you drive up a very steep mountainous road to Rio Chirripo, you may think you are lost.  The 2 lane road is paved then suddenly not paved, then suddenly paved, then not again, but just keep climbing the mountain.  You are greeted with a very welcoming sight, the sign that lets you know, you’ve made it. As you pass through the open gates you already know, this is going to be very different.  The joy of Rio Chirripo unfolds before you.  “Oh, this is nice”, turns into “Wow, this place is beautiful” in a matter of minutes.  Oh, and the energy, yes I said energy.  You can feel it.  I could use all the clichés tranquility, serenity, peaceful but I would not be able to describe that energy properly.  All I know for sure is that the positive energy there is real.














We are greeted by Oriana.  She welcomes us and gives us the overall tour, but immediately you know, she is not only there to help you, she wants you to feel like this is your home. And, will go out of her way to make that happen.  We ask her, so how many other guest will be staying here during our visit, and she says you two are our only guests.  It’s the rainy season in Costa Rica but as far as I am concerned, all the more reason to go there and have the experience of this retreat with you being the total focus.


 We are brought to our room, which is lovely.  The river below provides a wonderful hum to fall asleep to.  











The back open air porch

















One of the focal points of Rio Chirripo is the “Rancho”.  An open air building that has a huge fireplace and comfy places to sit. It is the place to gather in the evening besides the roaring fireplace with a glass of wine.  This is where we met Frank, the proprietor extraordinaire. A wonderfully gentle soul that reminded me of Leonard Cohen (the poet,song writer and singer).   I would look forward to our pre dinner conversations and rocking in the rocking chairs placed directly in front of the fire.











































There are options for meals.  We opted for the breakfast and dinner option included with the room rate.  Again, I wish I could describe the food, ok I’ll try, absolutely delicious!  Everything made from scratch with wonderfully fresh ingredients.  Dinner consists of a 4 course meal starting with soup (the leek and potato was out of this world), to a freshly tossed salad, the entrée (and I’ll give the fish with a parsley sauce my 5 spoons of excellence) and dessert.





The pool area is so peaceful, it is set downhill away from the cabins.  There are 4 hammocks hanging there and I have officially named one of them “Linda’s Hammock”.  Also please try the hot tub at night under the stars, wow.
















We took short hikes each day.  Our first adventure was up to Cloudbridge Nature Reserve.  This is not a hike for the weak or weary.  It really gets the heart pumping. But the views are worth every step















Another easier hike was to the Hidden Garden. It costs $5. This man has created a very nice hike on his property with 5 small spring fed ponds that you can sit and experience nature at its finest.


 















We also did 2 workshops while we were there which I highly recommend The Chocolate making workshop/tour and The Swiss Cheese workshop/tour.  They were both so wonderful that I will write about them in another blog.


So, here is the bottom line….Don’t miss this opportunity whether in the dry season or green season.  They are usually busy starting in November through April, but you will not be disappointed, I promise.






2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete